LONDON, June 10 /PRNewswire/ -- As the summer hols loom, and a warm one is predicted realbuzz.com has come up with a variety of healthy active ideas to keep the whole family entertained over the summer months. Our realbuzz.com top 10 healthy family activities include:
1. Swimming is always a sure-fire hit with children. With a huge push across the country to get the population more active and leading a healthier lifestyle, some councils have even dropped entrance costs for swimmers under 16 heading to their local pool. An hour swimming can burn up to 300 calories and gives the whole body a workout and not to mention the fun element. http://www.realbuzz.com/swimming
2. Cycling: there are so many cycle routes now available through beautiful parks and cycle friendly paths, across towns and cities that the whole family can explore. Get out and about and burn off calories whilst seeing the sites, perfect to use the realbuzz.com route planner to plan those route as well http://www.realbuzz.com/cycling http://www.realbuzz.com/mapyourpassion/
3. Activity holidays: Trying out new and different sports is a great sharing experience for family members. New water sports, like kite surfing or treks across a famous terrain all add a different dimension to an active holiday. http://www.realbuzz.com/water-sports
4. Walking; most teenagers will balk at going for a family walk, but generally getting the family together and going for a healthy walk to a place of interest, is a great exercise for family fitness, and will cost nothing. If you are looking for new and interesting routes in your area then check out realbuzz.com's route planner, we've got over 250,000 routes that will get you out and about! http://www.realbuzz.com/walking
5. Orienteering, this activity doesn't really have a very sexy image but is gaining in popularity. You can run, walk or jog orienteering courses and they make for a fab day out. The sport is very family-friendly as it has different events designed for children, teenagers and adults. So grab the compass... http://www.realbuzz.com/orienteering
6. When the weather is inclement, why not head to the local bowling alley, give table tennis ago, or even badminton! A bit of healthy competition between the family never hurt anyone!
7. Outdoor activities: on the beach or in the park why not get your children's friends together and get a game of cricket or rounders set up? All you need is a bat, ball and some keen faces to field, and bat!
8. Fun runs - realbuzz.com wouldn't be true to itself if we didn't mention running in some which way or form. Fun Runs can be great for the whole family to get involved. The distances all vary for varying different ages, and can be a great achievement. http://www.realbuzz.com
9. Play barns - They have sprung up all over the country, and are brilliant workout for your kids indoors, with plenty of activities to keep them entertained for hours, and you can get involved too.
10. Learning a new sport for the whole family, why not sign up to learn something totally new like learning to play tennis, or even trying out karate, something for the whole family can be a great way of leading a healthy, active lifestyle, and you can tell everyone about your progression by using all the realbuzz.com community tools.
For further information please contact Fiona@realbuzz.com or call +44(0)207-202-7982
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved