The European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study is a Europe-wide prospective cohort study of the relationships between diet and cancer, as well as other chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease. With over half a million participants, it is the largest study of diet and disease to be undertaken.
EPIC is coordinated by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the World Health Organization, and funded by the 'Europe Against Cancer' programme of the European Commission as well as multiple nation-specific grants and charities.
521,457 healthy adults, mostly aged 35-70 years, were enrolled in 23 centres in ten European countries: Denmark (11%), France (14%), Germany (10%), Greece (5%), Italy (9%), The Netherlands (8%), Norway (7%), Spain (8%), Sweden (10%) and the United Kingdom (17%). One UK centre (Oxford) recruited 27,000 vegetarians and vegans; this subgroup forms the largest study of this dietary group. Recruitment to the study took place between 1993 and 1999, and follow up is planned for at least ten years, with repeat interview/questionnaires every three to five years. The main prospective data collected are standardised dietary questionnaires (self administered or interview based), seven-day food diaries, blood samples and anthropometric measurements, such as body mass index and waist-to-hip ratio. Additionally, the GenAir case-control study is studying the relationship of passive smoking and air pollution with cancers and respiratory diseases.
Up to 2004, there were over 26,000 new cases of cancer recorded among participants, with the most common being cancers of the breast, colorectum, prostate and lung. Current analyses are focusing particularly on stomach, colorectal, breast, prostate and lung cancers. The different dietary patterns in the different countries should enable reliable associations to be made between particular diets and cancers. The analysis of stored blood samples should also allow dissection of genetic factors involved in cancers, as well as the effects of hormones and hormone-like factors.
- Consumption of fibre, fish, milk and cheese reduce risk of colorectal cancer, while red and processed meat increase risk
- Consumption of fruit and vegetables does not affect risk of breast or prostate cancer
- Bingham SA, Day NE, Luben R, et al. Dietary fibre in food and protection against colorectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC): an observational study. Lancet (2003) 361: 1496-1501 PubMed
- Gonzalez CA, Jakszyn P, Pera G, et al. Meat intake and risk of stomach and esophageal adenocarcinoma within the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J. Natl Cancer Inst. (2006) 98: 345-354
- Khaw KT, Bingham S, Welch A, et al. Relation between plasma ascorbic acid and mortality in men and women in EPIC-Norfolk prospective study: a prospective population study. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Lancet (2001) 357: 657-663 PubMed
- Miller AB, Altenburg HP, Bueno-de-Mesquita B, et al. Fruits and vegetables and lung cancer: Findings from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int. J. Cancer (2004) 108: 269-276 PubMed
- Norat T, Bingham S, Ferrari P, et al. Meat, fish, and colorectal cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into cancer and nutrition. J. Natl Cancer Inst. (2005) 97: 906-916
Other medicine definition
(Date:1/16/2017)... ... January 16, 2017 , ... Vixiar ... Officer of the medical device company, effective immediately. , “This is perfect timing ... has a strong track record in medical device market development and revenue growth, ...
(Date:1/15/2017)... ... January 15, 2017 , ... Going above and ... that strives to better communities around the world by offering the Gensuite team ... the opportunity for team members to become involved in a cause that is ...
(Date:1/15/2017)... ... ... "On Tour is a music themed slideshow production package which allows editors ... CEO of Pixel Film Studios. , On Tour’s new slide presets come with ... their slideshows. Place each slide on top of another slide or piece of media ...
(Date:1/15/2017)... ... January 15, 2017 , ... The Gravity Vault Indoor ... Radnor, Pennsylvania. As construction wraps up on the 14,000+ square foot climbing gym, the ... sixth location, including three in New Jersey and two in New York. With this ...
(Date:1/14/2017)... Glendale, CA (PRWEB) , ... January 13, 2017 ... ... published on Body and Soul, incorporating a magnesium-rich Mediterranean diet may lower the ... Leon Café and Lounge notes that the many health and wellness benefits linked ... Breaking Medicine News(10 mins):