To create the modern biotech research and innovation center, the two former tobacco buildings were gutted and stripped to the basic structure on the interior and then refitted with all new mechanical, HVAC, electrical systems, fire protection, and vertical transportation systems to bring them up to current commercial code standards. The world class facility incorporates green technology and follows the principles of Leadership in Energy and Design (LEED).
The new Wake Forest Biotech Place features a 7,500 square foot glass atrium that illuminates the building's center, is five stories tall on the south side and three stories high on the north side. The south end of the building was originally constructed in 1937 and features a distinctive glass block exterior that was painstakingly restored. The northern end of the building has a brick facade and was completed in 1962.
The redevelopment was made possible through the North Carolina Mill Rehabilitation Tax Credits program and the federal New Market and Historic Tax Credits program. "This is a very effective tool for sustainable redevelopment and provides considerable benefits to the local economy while enabling the preservation of a former manufacturing area in downtown Winston Salem," said Doug Edgeton, president, Piedmont Triad Research Park. "The new facility is a wonderful example of the benefits of public-private partnerships designed to breathe new life into once blighted areas." To that end, in 2010, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina invested in the project, using the Mill Tax Credit program.
Wake Forest Baptist is the building's largest tenant. The first floor/basement consists of a pedestrian entrance, space for a cafe, Allegacy Federal Credit Union, office space to house the Childress Institute for Pediatric Trauma, business accelerator space, and the Department of Biomedical Engineering and their associated research labs. The second floor serves as the
|SOURCE Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center|
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved