In July and August of 2012, the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (the "Board") also issued two decisions favoring ViaCyte on motions filed in the patent interference proceedings between ViaCyte and Geron Corporation (Menlo Park, California). The interferences involved ViaCyte's U.S. Patent No. 7,510,876 ("876 Patent"), which is directed to human definitive endoderm cell cultures in vitro. The Board upheld the claims of ViaCyte's '876 Patent in its entirety over Geron's applications. In September 2012, Geron appealed this decision in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
ViaCyte, a private company that has emerged as a leader in the field of regenerative medicine, is currently focused on developing a novel cell therapy for the treatment of diabetes. The Company's lead product is based on the production of pancreatic progenitors derived from human pluripotent stem cells. These cells are implanted in a durable and retrievable encapsulation device. Once implanted and matured, these cells secrete insulin and other regulatory factors in response to blood glucose levels. ViaCyte's goal for this potentially transformative diabetes product is long term insulin independence without immune suppression, and without risk of hypoglycemia and other diabetes-related complications.
ViaCyte is headquartered in San Diego, California'/>"/>
SOURCE ViaCyte, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Leading Investigator to Present Clinical Data on Generex Oral-lyn™ at International Diabetes Federation Meetings in Dubai
2. BioSpace Spotlights Leading Life Science Community
3. Northwest Bio Reaffirms Its Freedom to Operate; Refutes Other Parties Misleading Patent Assertions
4. iBioSeminars and iBioMagazine: Free, Online Biology Seminars and Short Talks by Leading Scientists
5. Leading Pharmaceutical Marketing Research and Consulting Company Introduces Intelligent Efficiency Program
6. Johns Hopkins Health System is 100th healthcare Provider to Integrate OnBase With Leading Electronic Medical Record System
7. Leading German Researcher Awarded Elseviers 2011 Tetrahedron Prize
8. Dyadic International Partners with Leading Provider of Nutritional Ingredient Solutions for Production of Food Enzymes
9. Floridas Leading Fertility Center Announces Successful Baby Delivery via Egg Freezing
10. Life Technologies Showcases Leading Technologies for Cancer Research at the AACR Annual Meeting 2012
11. Urologists Debunk Misleading, Grossly Inaccurate Prostate Cancer Biopsy Study