BOSTON, Nov. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Topokine Therapeutics has initiated dosing in a Phase 2, randomized controlled clinical trial of XAF5 Gel for reduction of excess submental fat, commonly known as "double chin." XAF5 Gel is a proprietary skin formulation of a compound already known to reduce fat around the human eye. Study participants are applying XAF5 Gel or placebo once a night to skin under the chin.
"Patients are increasingly interested in non-invasive therapies to rejuvenate the face," said Jeffrey S. Dover, MD, FRCPC, a nationally recognized dermatologist and member of the Topokine's Scientific Board of Advisors. "If approved, XAF5 Gel would provide a convenient topical medication that reduces submental fat."
XAF5 is a small molecule that induces a G protein-coupled cascade in adipocytes to reduce cellular lipid content and differentiation. Daily administration of XAF5 reduces fat around the human eye and in five laboratory models. The technology was first conceived by ophthalmologists at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary / Harvard Medical School Department of Ophthalmology.
The Phase 2 study follows positive data from a 6-week Phase 1 clinical trial completed in April 2013. In that randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 32 healthy men and women applied XAF5 Gel or placebo once a night to a 100 cm2 area of abdominal skin. The study met its pre-specified primary safety and tolerability endpoint at all doses. The only side effects were mild, temporary skin redness or itch, which occurred at similar rates with placebo. Exploratory CT scans showed a dose-dependent reduction in fat volume under treated skin as compared to contralateral untreated skin.
"We are excited to advance our XAF5 Gel program into Phase 2," said Topokine's Chief Scientific Officer, Michael Si
SOURCE Topokine Therapeutics, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Topokine Announces Dosing of First Subject in a Phase I Clinical Trial of XAF5 Gel for Local Reduction of Subcutaneous Fat
2. GW Pharmaceuticals Commences Phase 1b/2a Clinical Trial for the Treatment of Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM)
3. Lightlake Therapeutics Commences Two-Week Patient Trial for Treatment of Opioid Overdose with National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
4. Clinical Phase Ia Trial on MIV-711 Complete and Phase Ib Trial Commences
5. Perrigo Receives FDA Approval And Commences Launch Of Morphine Sulfate 100ml/5% Oral Solution
6. Amgen Presents Interim Overall Survival Data From Phase 3 Study Of Talimogene Laherparepvec In Patients With Metastatic Melanoma
7. Surprise: Viruses Can Cause Disease during Latent Phase; New Evidence Supports Microcompetition Theory
8. RXi Pharmaceuticals Announces the Start of Their First Phase 2 Study with RXI-109 for Treatment of Hypertrophic Scars in Conjunction with Scar Revision Surgery
9. Omeros to Present Data from OMS302 Phase 3 Clinical Program at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting
10. Pfenex Inc. Awards Paragon Bioservices a Contract for cGMP Manufacturing of its Recombinant Protective Antigen (rPA), for Phase 1 Clinical Trial of its Anthrax Vaccine
11. Cellular Biomedicine Group Announces Completion of Patient Treatment for Phase I/IIa Clinical Trial for Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis (KOA)