BALTIMORE, March 12 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Maryland biotech CEOs and companies were honored today by the Greater Baltimore Committee as winners of the region's fourth bioscience award competition.
Winners of the 2009 Bioscience Awards are:
- Best New Product or Progress: C. Randal Mills, Ph.D., president and CEO, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. Mills' Columbia-based company has spent more than $300 million developing stem cell therapies. The funding has allowed Osiris to complete clinical trials necessary to demonstrate the safety and efficacy of two next-generation stem cell treatments for serious conditions such as graft versus host disease, Crohn's disease, arthritis, diabetes, pulmonary disease and heart attacks.
- Leadership in Bioscience Award: Karen Olsen, CEO, BioMarker Strategies, LLC. Olsen's tissue-based cancer diagnostics company is based at the Science + Technology Park at Johns Hopkins. BioMarker Strategies is developing live cell biomarker tests for solid-tumor based cancers.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit Award: Suzanne Sysko Clough, M.D., founder and chief medical officer, WellDoc Communications, Inc. Clough's Baltimore-based health care company develops technology-based solutions to improve diabetes outcomes and reduce health care costs. Since founded, WellDoc successfully raised more than $6 million in angel funding and is moving forward with a 300 patient trial sponsored by leaders in telecommunications, medical device, and health insurance provider industries.
- President's Award:
- Ellen Hemmerly, executive director, bwtech@UMBC Research & Technology Park, co-principal investigator for NSF Grant, coordinator of incubation operations for ACTiVATE and ACTiVATE Leadership Team. ACTiVATE(R) is a year-long program to train women with significant technical or business experience to be entrepreneurs and to create start-up companies from inventions from Maryland research institutions and federal agencies.
- Kathleen O'Donnell Weiss, executive director, The BioTechnical Institute of Maryland, Inc. (BTI). Located in Baltimore, BTI fills a need for specialty scientific training of entry-level biotechnicians for employment in Maryland's rapidly expanding biotechnology industry.
Nurturing development of the region's bioscience industry is a top priority of the GBC, the region's most prominent organization of business and civic leaders.
Winners of the 2009 Bioscience Awards were selected by a panel of judges from among 18 nominees submitted by businesses, bioscience advocates, higher education institutions and government agencies.
Judges for this year's awards were: Scott Allocco, president, BioMarker Strategies; Judith Britz, Ph.D., principal, Britz Consulting; David J. Fink, Ph.D., biotech entrepreneur-in-residence, techcenter@UMBC; Elizabeth Good Mazhari, director, Strategic Investments, University of Maryland, Baltimore; Mark E. Rapson, CPA, shareholder, Board of Directors, Katz Abosch; Howard S. Schwartz, Esq., partner, DLA Piper; and Paul Silber, Ph.D., biotechnology investor.
Program sponsor for the event is DLA Piper. Patron sponsors are Katz Abosch and PhRMA. Media sponsors are The Daily Record and The Gazette of Politics and Business.
Related biology technology :1
|SOURCE Greater Baltimore Committee|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Osteotech Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2008 Financial Results; Company Plans Three Product Launches and Unveilings in 2009; Will Provide 2009 Guidance During Conference Call on March 5, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. EST2
. Savara Expands Board of Directors, Appoints Three New Members3
. GeneGo Renews Its Agreement With Bayer Schering Pharma AG for Another Three Years4
. BioCryst to Present Three Posters During the 50th American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting and Exposition5
. LI-COR Introduces Three IRDye(R) Near-Infrared Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer (NIR-FRET) Protease Substrates6
. ViroPharma to Present at Three November Healthcare Conferences7
. Gable PR Honored by PRSA San Diego Chapter with Three Awards for Client Programs8
. NicOx Reports Results for the First Three Quarters of 20089
. Custom NX(R) Drug Eluting Stent System Continues to Demonstrate Favorable Outcomes in Challenging Patient Populations at One, Two and Three Years10
. Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (CTI) to Present at Three Upcoming Investor Conferences11
. ViroPharma to Present at Three October Healthcare Conferences