Raleigh, NC (PRWEB) April 22, 2013
The Multiple System Atrophy Coalition, also known as The MSA CoalitionSM, announced today that it has completed the most important aspects of officially changing its name from the SDS/MSA Support Group. The new name was officially recognized by the state of Texas in early March, where the 501(c)3 charitable organization is incorporated. Since that time, the organization has obtained service marks for its new name and new logo. In addition, The MSA Coalition has filed its new name with the IRS, the Better Business Bureau and other government agencies, while beginning the process of updating its Internet properties (http://www.MultipleSystemAtrophy.org, Facebook, and Twitter.)
“We are very excited and proud of our new name, The Multiple System Atrophy Coalition,” stated Don Crouse, Board of Directors and volunteer for the Coalition. “Over the past two years or so the organization and its capabilities have really grown. From its founding date until just a few years ago the Support Group struggled to raise money and as such was limited to providing only emotional and educational support to the MSA patient/caregiver community devastated by this rare, disabling and fatal disorder. Three years ago we invested in a new website and we began to see a steady increase in donations. Today, we are much stronger financially and rejuvenated from a volunteer perspective. As such, we decided in late 2012 to change our name to better reflect our new mission, which now expands beyond just support group services to include educational activities, awareness and advocacy activities, and a dedicated Multiple System Atrophy Research Fund. We believe our new name, The Multiple System Atrophy Coalition, reflects our mission and our desire to be an inclusive organization to the entire MSA community.”
The MSA Coalition has an aggressive plan in place for 2013. In addition to changing its name, the Coalition is currently involved in or actively working to implement the following activities during this calendar year:
“We have many important activities underway for this year,” stated Judy Biedenharn, Co-President of The MSA Coalition. “Our most important is the launch of our Multiple System Atrophy Research Grant Program, which will be launched soon. We have made great strides in recent years to get to this point, however, to continue funding our programs in the future The MSA Coalition needs to continue to increase the donations it receives. Right now we put 75% of every dollar received directly into our MSA Research Fund. The other 25% goes to funding our support, advocacy and education initiatives with only a small fraction going to administrative expenses. To continue funding research and to increase the money going into research we need more donations. Please contact our Coalition if you want to help with fundraising or to volunteer your time. The Multiple System Atrophy Coalition is here to support our community, fight for awareness, advocate for important issues, and to help researchers to someday find a cure.”
About Multiple System Atrophy
Multiple system atrophy (previously known as Shy-Drager Syndrome) is a rare and fatal disorder with less than 15,000 Americans diagnosed and 35,000 undiagnosed at any given time. According to the National Institutes of Health, "Multiple system atrophy is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder characterized by symptoms of autonomic nervous system failure such as fainting spells and bladder control problems (neurogenic orthostatic hypotension), combined with motor control symptoms such as tremor, rigidity, and loss of muscle coordination. MSA affects both men and women primarily in their 50s. MSA tends to advance rapidly over the course of nine to 10 years, with progressive loss of motor skills, eventual confinement to bed, and death. There is no remission from the disease. There is currently no cure is available."
About The Multiple System Atrophy CoalitionSM
The MSA Coalition, formerly the SDS/MSA Support Group changed its name on March 1, 2013 in order to better reflect its mission as a 501(c)3 charitable organization representing the multiple system atrophy community. Started as a patient/caregiver support group nearly 25 years ago, the MSA Coalition now has a four-pillar mission:
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/4/prweb10647895.htm.
Copyright©2012 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved