Online medical journals: utilising industry-leading web technologies
Incorporating input from 100 medical students, clinicians, senior
consultants, medical researchers and top academics from all over the world,
TheLancet.com is built with industry-leading web technologies such as J2EE,
Spring, Ajax and MarkLogic XML database functionality to create a fast and
intuitive interactive online resource. TheLancet.com has been developed
using best-practice Agile processes, resulting in a lean and efficient site
that delivers an optimal user experience.
Performance enhancements to TheLancet.com include:
- Instantaneous loading of tables of contents and articles, with
tabulated search results that enable swift reviewing and sorting
by date, type, relevance and numbers of citations.
- New article previews from the table of contents and search results
pages, along with online-only 'Editors' Notes' that help users assess
the relevance of the full text article quickly and easily.
- One-click access to current online medical journal issues, with past
issues accessible in one view from the current issue page.
- Fully integrated RSS and social bookmarking tools, including Elsevier's
2Collab social networking tool, and with citations from the universal
Scopus article citation database to be added soon.
- E-Commerce and customer service features, including the ability to
self-edit user profiles.
Valuable editorial analyses and online multimedia content
Other site features that add value to core journal content include
Editor's Choices for each journal, additional editorial analysis, 'This
Week in Medicine' news, video in collabor
|SOURCE The Lancet|
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved