"The 5-fold reduction in false positives obtained by combining the MSC Lung Cancer assay to the results of the LDCT scan is of great clinical relevance in the context of reducing the false positive rate and the potential side effects associated with repeated LDCT scans or other unnecessary invasive diagnostic follow-ups," stated Dr. Ugo Pastorino, Head of Thoracic Surgery Unit, Chairman of Department of Surgery, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy.
This correlative study in lung cancer is the first of its kind, clinically validating a biomarker using prospectively collected blood samples from a large randomized lung cancer screening trial. In addition to a significant reduction in the rate of false positive results, the performance of the MSC Lung Cancer assay was independent of the stage of lung cancer and time prior to detection of cancer with LDCT (up to two years prior). This suggests additional potential utility for diagnosis and early detection with the MSC Lung Cancer assay.
"We have developed a minimally invasive molecular diagnostic assay that quantifies the expression of specific miRNAs which are freely circulating in blood and indicate the presence of lung cancer," stated Gabriella Sozzi
SOURCE GENSIGNIA Ltd
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Winter Construction is Simple with Starrco’s Modular Office Systems
2. VolitionRx Finds Simple Blood Test Detects 85% of Colorectal Cancers and Over 50% of Polyps
3. KLOX Technologies annonce quelle a obtenu lapprobation européenne du marquage CE sur son produit novateur et non invasif pour lacné simple
4. CONRAD presents new technology combining contraception, HIV and herpes simplex virus-2 prevention
5. NanoBio To Present Data At ICAAC Supporting The Development Of Safe And Effective RSV & Herpes Simplex Virus-2 Vaccines
6. DNA2.0 Introduces Simple, IP-Free©, Scarless Cloning
7. A Simple Guide to De-Risking Before Full Prescribing Information, New Life Science Webinar Hosted by Xtalks
8. SimpleSeq Webless by Eurofins MWG Operon for Order-Free DNA Sequencing
9. IMDx Obtains CE-Marking for an Automated Molecular Test for Detection and Differentiation of Herpes Simplex Viruses 1 and 2
10. Simple, cheap way to mass-produce graphene nanosheets
11. Quest Diagnostics CE Marks Simplexa™ Test for Cytomegalovirus for Sale in Europe