SAN FRANCISCO, June 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Burrill & Company, a San Francisco-based global leader in life sciences with activities in Venture Capital, Private Equity, Merchant Banking and Media, is pleased to announce that Shawn Cross has joined the firm as Managing Director, Merchant Banking. Shawn will assist clients in structuring and completing mergers and acquisitions, partnering and capital raising transactions. In addition, Shawn will make an important contribution to the collective efforts of the Burrill Merchant Banking Team in the formation and deployment of Burrill Private Equity funds. Shawn brings considerable experience in life science investment banking including:
- A twelve year career beginning at Alex. Brown & Sons Inc. where he focused on growth oriented companies and completed a broad range of transactions for leading life sciences companies such as Sepracor and United Therapeutics.
- Six years in London and New York City predominantly focused on mid and large-cap pharmaceutical companies - after Alex. Brown was acquired by Deutsche Bank AG in 1999 - including strategic advisory assignments for numerous European pharmaceutical companies such as Bayer AG in addition to book-running successful financings for emerging US companies such as Auxilium Pharmaceuticals and Sciele.
- An exclusive focus on growth-oriented life sciences companies at Thomas Weisel Partners LLC in San Francisco.
Mr. Cross received an MBA with Honors from
"We are delighted to have Shawn on board," said G. Steven Burrill, CEO of Burrill & Company. "Given the turmoil in the capital markets and in investment banking, we see an enormous opportunity to serve the life sciences industry by accelerating the growth of our Merchant Banking business. Shawn's experience in life science investment banking is a perfect fit with our ongoing global life sciences activities."
"The strategy to combine M&A, partnering and capital raising advisory services with the deployment of our own private equity and venture capital provides unique value to the marketplace," said James Watson, Head of Merchant Banking at Burrill & Company. "Shawn joins our rapidly growing team and will considerably enhance our capabilities."
About Burrill Merchant Banking
Burrill Merchant Banking assists life science companies to identify, negotiate and close strategic transactions. Service lines include:
- Merger & Acquisitions
- Strategic Partnering
- Spin-Outs and Divestitures
- Financing Advisory and Private Placement
- Private Equity
About Burrill & Company
Founded in 1994, Burrill & Company is a San Francisco-based global leader in life sciences with activities in Venture Capital, Private Equity, Merchant Banking and Media. The Burrill family of venture capital funds has over $950 million under management and its merchant banking business is one of the industry leaders in life sciences transactions. Burrill is also the creator, sponsor and facilitator of over a dozen leading industry conferences worldwide and publisher of a range of bio-intelligence reports including the monthly Burrill Report, which tracks the progress of the global biotechnology industry and our annual "State of the Industry" report, the latest of which is Biotech 2009-Life Sciences: Navigating the Sea Change, the 23rd annual report on the industry. The 470-plus page book contains analysis and perspectives on the performance of the industry in 2008 and projections for 2009 and beyond. www.burrillandco.com
|SOURCE Burrill & Company|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved