Sanofi and Regeneron also announced today that based on discussions with the U.S. and European regulatory authorities, they intend to initiate a global Phase 3 program with SAR236553/REGN727 in June. This will be the first Phase 3 program of an investigational drug targeting PCSK9.
"These data, along with recently presented data in patients with hypercholesterolemia, further support our belief that blocking PCSK9 with our antibody has the potential to offer a novel mechanism for lowering LDL-cholesterol in a broad range of patients," said George D. Yancopoulos, M.D., Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer of Regeneron and President of Regeneron Laboratories. Dr. Elias Zerhouni, President, Global Research & Development, Sanofi, added: "Our global Phase 3 program will include patients with high unmet medical need, such as patients with familial hypercholesterolemia or with elevated cardiovascular risk who cannot reach their LDL-cholesterol goals with current standard therapies. The program reflects our excitement and commitment to develop this potential therapeutic option for these patients."
PCSK9 is known to be a determinant of circulating LDL-C levels, as it binds to LDL receptors resulting in their degradation so that fewer are available on liver cells to remove excess LDL-C from the blood.['/>"/>
SOURCE Sanofi and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Sanofi Aventis : New Study Results Support the "Basal Plus" Strategy With LANTUS(R) and APIDRA(R) to Improve Blood Sugar Control in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
2. RainDance Technologies Signs a Collaboration Agreement with sanofi-aventis and Louis Pasteur University to Launch dScreen Consortium within ALSACE BIOVALLEY cluster
3. Russia Chooses Inactivated Polio Vaccine from Sanofi Pasteur for Primary Immunization of all Infants
4. AEterna Zentaris and Sanofi-Aventis Sign a Development, Commercialization and Licensing Agreement for Cetrorelix in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
5. BioWa Announces License of POTELLIGENT(R) Technology to sanofi-aventis
6. Sanofi-aventis U.S. to Acquire Oral Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Treatment
7. Sanofi Pasteur Receives Seed Virus to Produce New Influenza A(H1N1) Vaccine
8. Sanofi-aventis U.S. Announces Settlement of Medicaid Best Price Investigation
9. Sanofi Pasteur Responds to Nations Need for Hib Vaccine With Increased Supply
10. Sanofi-aventis Announces Second Quarter 2009 Results
11. Sanofi-aventis U.S. Introduces BenzaClin(R) Carekit