Psoriasis, which affects nearly 7 million Americans, is a chronic disease of the immune system that causes the skin cells to grow at an accelerated rate. Although there are several types of psoriasis, approximately 80 percent of patients suffer from plaque psoriasis, which causes painful and itchy red, scaly patches.
According to a 2007 National Psoriasis Foundation survey, 40 percent of patients reported choosing their clothing to conceal their psoriasis. The Foundation's 2008 survey also found:
Each survey had approximately 400 respondents, two-thirds of which reported being diagnosed with moderate to severe psoriasis.
Dr. Taylor, assistant clinical professor of dermatology,
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Bio-Matrix Scientific Group, Inc. Highlighted in LifeSciencesWorld.com Special Report; Stem Cell Market Projected to Exceed $8 Billion Worldwide by 2016
2. Cord Blood America Restructures Debt; Projects to be Cash Flow Positive
3. Encouraging high-risk research: DFG approves funding for 2 new Reinhart Koselleck projects
4. China Biologic Products High-Purity Human Albumin Research and Development Project to be Listed in the National Torch Plan
5. Famed IT Investor and Director of 23andme Esther Dyson Identifies on IdeasProject.com Genetic Information as an Extremely Disruptive Force
6. Air Products and Alter NRG Sign JDA on Renewable Energy Projects
7. African Ancestry, Educators, Identity Experts Launch DNA Education Project during Historic Black History Month; 7th Graders Score High on Ultimate Self Test
8. Bion Announces PENNVEST Board Approves $7.8 Million Financing for Kreider Farms Dairy Project
9. Verenium Announces First Commercial Cellulosic Ethanol Project
10. Health Robotics Announces Results of the European Union-Sponsored SafeChemo Project
11. Arpida to Restructure and Focus on Key Projects