The first-generation product is part of a multi-generational family of biotech drought-tolerant products the companies plan to bring to market in the next decade. Both BASF and Monsanto continue to bolster the joint pipeline with other genes for drought tolerance as well as other abiotic stress tolerance traits. Among them is the second-generation drought-tolerant corn, currently in Phase 2 - which consists of laboratory and field testing.
Monsanto decided to collaborate with BASF because the company is excellently positioned to provide traits as a series of successive upgrades within a particular crop. For BASF, Monsanto's track record of commercializing traits and breeding desirable germplasm ensures that BASF's innovations quickly reach the widest base of farmers.
Monsanto's discovery engine - to which the company contributes $2.6 million a day - continues to screen, evaluate and advance genes with promising yield and stress tolerance characteristics.
Monsanto's discovery engine combines cutting-edge breeding and biotechnology research using elite germplasm from around the world to deliver the best seed-based solutions for increased on-farm productivity. Drought tolerance as well as other traits in development, such as higher-yielding soybeans and disease-resistant cotton are key to meeting the company's Sustainable Yield Commitment. In 2008, Monsanto pledged to double yields in its three core crops - corn, cotton and soybeans - by 2030 compared to a base year of 2000 - while also working to conserve resources such as water, land and energy, required to produce each unit.
SOURCE Monsanto Company
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Scientists create metal that pumps liquid uphill
2. Abbott Named One of the Top 10 Companies for Scientists
3. Scientists demonstrate effect of confining dielectrics on semiconductor nanowire conductivity
4. Scientists determine the structure of highly efficient light-harvesting molecules in green bacteria
5. Scientists moving closer to artificial noses
6. Scientists discover dancing algae
7. Scientists demonstrate laser with controlled polarization
8. HybridSPE(TM)-Precipitation Technology Wins SelectScience.net 2009 Scientists Choice Award for Best New Separations Product in 2008
9. Collexis Connects Biomedical Researchers and Clinical Scientists with the Collexis Expert Platform for Translational Research
10. Scientists patent corrosion-resistant nano-coating for metals
11. SenesTech Scientists Attend International Workshop on Fertility in New Zealand