INDIANAPOLIS, April 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) today announced it has acquired two investigational positron emission tomography (PET) tracers from Siemens Medical Solutions USA, Inc. The tracers are intended to image tau (or neurofibrillary) tangles in the brain, one of two known hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease. Based on studies of samples obtained at autopsy, the amount and location of tau tangles in an Alzheimer's disease patient's brain is thought to correlate with the severity of the disease. There are currently no approved diagnostics to detect tau tangles in living patients, creating challenges for scientists working to understand the progression of the disease and how therapies may impact it.
Lilly will initially focus on incorporating this new technology into its anti-amyloid and anti-tau research and development (R&D) programs. Use of a tau tangle tracer could enable tailoring and early identification of at-risk patients, as well as potentially provide a marker for treatment response. Lilly also has the option to commercialize the tracers. The tracers will be developed and validated by a team at Avid Radiopharmaceuticals, Lilly's wholly owned subsidiary focused on molecular imaging. Financial terms of the deal are not being disclosed.
"The acquisition of these tau tangle tracers builds on our 25-year commitment of investing in Alzheimer's disease research and development to bring new medicines to patients facing the terrible consequences of Alzheimer's disease," said Jan M. Lundberg , Ph.D., executive vice president, science and technology, and president, Lilly Research Laboratories. "We are hopeful that this technology will both enhance our understanding of tau and its role in Alzheimer's disease, and contribute to the d
SOURCE Eli Lilly and Company
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Lilly and Incyte Announce Additional Phase IIb Baricitinib Data, Including MRI Results, in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis
2. Life Technologies Acquires KDR Biotech Co., LTD., Leading Reagents Distributor
3. Frazier Healthcare Acquires AndersonBrecon from AmerisourceBergen
4. Green Dot Holdings LLC Acquires MGP’s Bioplastics Division
5. TNI BioTech Acquires Exclusive License To The Portfilio Of Patents Of Dr Ian S. Zagon, Dr. Patricia J. McLauglin And Dr. Jill Smith From The Penn State Research Foundation
6. Life Technologies Acquires BAC BV, Expands Capabilities in Bioprocessing
7. INRS acquires a groundbreaking advanced imaging infrastructure
8. WHEATON® Acquires Chromatography Vial Supply Company, MicroLiter
9. Ryan Herco Flow Solutions Acquires Expert Piping Supply, Inc.
10. VWR International, LLC Acquires Sovereign Group
11. Elsevier Acquires ExitCare, Provider of Patient Education Solutions