SILVER SPRING, Md. and CHERTSEY, England, Dec. 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- United Therapeutics Corporation (NASDAQ: UTHR) and its wholly-owned subsidiary, United Therapeutics Europe, Ltd., announced today that the French regulatory agency Agence Francaise de Securite Sanitaire des Produits de Sante (AFSSAPS) has approved intravenous use of Remodulin® (treprostinil) for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). Remodulin is already approved in most of Europe for the continuous subcutaneous infusion treatment of idiopathic or heritable PAH to improve exercise tolerance and symptoms of the disease in patients classified as New York Heart Association (NYHA) functional class III. The AFSSAPS' approval follows a review period during which 22 European member nations, each of which had previously approved subcutaneous Remodulin through the mutual recognition process, reviewed and endorsed the final variation assessment report (FVAR) issued by AFSSAPS, which will allow the use of the intravenous route of delivery to the Remodulin in the labeling in those nations.
"It is with great satisfaction that intravenous use of Remodulin will now be available to PAH patients in Europe," said Roger A. Jeffs, Ph.D., President and Chief Operating Officer. "This approval significantly expands the treatment options for PAH patients using parenteral therapy in Europe."
In Europe, risk management plans (RMPs) are routinely required as part of the regulatory approval process for new medicines and also for significant variations involving a change to the route of administration, formulation or indication. For intravenous Remodulin, United Therapeutics will implement an RMP focused on minimizing the known risks of central venous catheter-related blood stream infections associated with intravenous administration.
Oral Treprostinil New
SOURCE United Therapeutics Corporation
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Jennerex Publishes Clinical Data in Journal, Nature, Demonstrating Intravenous Delivery of Multi-Mechanistic Cancer-Targeted Oncolytic Poxvirus JX-594 to Tumors
2. Advanced Life Sciences Submits Full Proposal to NIAID for Development of Intravenous Formulation of Restanza as a Biodefense Countermeasure
3. ATOLL Study Results With Intravenous Enoxaparin in Acute Heart Attack Managed with Urgent Angioplasty
4. Advanced Life Sciences Announces Successful Preclinical Data Supporting Restanza Intravenous Formulation for Hospital Use
5. Jennerex Reports Positive Phase 1 Results for JX-594 Administered Intravenously
6. Hospira Announces New Contract With MedAssets for Intravenous Solutions, Renewal of Infusion Devices Agreement
7. United Therapeutics and Lees Pharmaceutical Sign Remodulin Distribution Agreement for China
8. Radient Pharmaceuticals Announces Proxy Resolutions Approved at Special Meeting of Stockholders
9. BYETTA® Approved for Use with Insulin Glargine in the U.S.
10. Life Technologies Introduces First and Only USDA-Approved Real-Time PCR Test to Detect Swine Influenza Virus
11. BioNeutral to Premier its EPA-Approved Ygiene® 206 Hospital-Grade Disinfectant at the Annual 2011 APIC Conference, While Community Health of South Florida Begins Product Review