Total pre-tax charges
compensation expense (54,307) (61,256) (96,295) (101,963)
Tax benefit 16,834 18,703 29,371 31,135
expense, net of tax $(37,473) $(42,553) $(66,924) $(70,828)
Diluted earnings per share and diluted weighted average shares
outstanding for the three and six months ended June 30, 2008 and 2007
were computed according to the provisions of FAS 123R.
(2) Includes a pre-tax charge of $(64,000)K recorded in June 2007
to settle the litigation related to the consolidation of our former
(3) For the three and six months ended June 30, 2007, includes a pre-tax
charge of $(25,000)K for an upfront milestone payment paid to Ceregene
Inc. in June 2007 for the development and commercialization of certain
gene therapy products.
(4) For the three and six months ended June 30, 2008, includes a pre-tax
charge of $(175,000)K for a license fee paid to Isis Pharmaceuticals,
Inc. ("Isis") in June for the exclusive worldwide rights of
mipomersen. For the six months ended June 30, 2008, also includes a
pre-tax charge of $(69,900)K representing the premium paid to purchase
five million shares of Isis common stock in February 2008.
(5) For the six months ended June 30, 2007, includes a pre-tax gain of
$10,848K recorded on the sale of our entire investment in the common
stock of Therapeutic Human Polyclonals Inc. in March 2007, which had a
zero cost basis.
(6) For the three and six months ended June 30, 2008, includes a net
pre-tax gain of $9,015K recorded in the second quarter of 2008,
consisting of a pre-tax gain of $10,304K resulting from the
|SOURCE Genzyme Corporation|
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved