BETHESDA, Md., July 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The International Wheat Genome Sequencing Consortium (IWGSC) published today in the international journal Science a draft sequence of the bread wheat genome. The chromosome-based draft provides new insight into the structure, organization, and evolution of the large, complex genome of the world's most widely grown cereal crop.
The genetic blueprint is an invaluable resource to plant science researchers and breeders. For the first time, they have at their disposal a set of tools enabling them to rapidly locate specific genes on individual wheat chromosomes throughout the genome. Jorge Dubcovsky, Professor at the University of California Davis, USA, says that these results "have been a fantastic resource for our laboratory. The development of genome specific primers, which used to take several weeks of work, can now be done in hours. Mapping of any sequence to the specific chromosome arm can now be done in silico in minutes. In addition to the acceleration of day to day work in wheat genetics, this resource has made possible analyses and discoveries at the genome level that were not possible before."
The draft sequence is a major landmark towards obtaining a complete reference sequence of the hexaploid bread wheat genome, the ultimate aim of the International Wheat Genome Sequencing Consortium. In the same issue of Science, another article presents the first reference sequence for the largest chromosome, 3B. This establishes a proof of concept and a template for sequencing the remaining chromosomes. As of today, researchers in the IWGSC estimate that the full genome sequence will be available within three years.
"With the draft gene sequence for each of the bread wheat chromosome and the first reference sequence of chromosome 3B, we have reached a great milestone in our roadmap," said Catherine Feui
SOURCE International Wheat Genome Sequencing Consortium (IWGSC)
Copyright©2014 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Interleukin Genetics Reports Third Quarter 2011 Financial Results
2. Members of Congress, Cancer Experts Address Impact of Genetic Testing on Cancer
3. Metamark Genetics Signs Collaboration Agreement on Novel Therapeutic Targets with Janssen Biotech
4. Ambry Genetics Launches Illumina MiSeq Next-Gen Sequencing Services
5. Cytogenetics - Technologies, Markets and Companies
6. 23andMe Presents Top Ten Most Interesting Genetic Findings of 2011
7. India In Vitro Diagnostics Market Outlook to 2017- Clinical Chemistry Genetic Testing, Haematology, Histology and Cytology, Immuno Chemistry, Infectious Immunology and Microbiology Culture
8. deCODE Genetics, in Collaboration with Academic Colleagues, Discovers Three Variants in the Sequence of the Human Genome that Affect the Risk of Thyroid Cancer
9. GeneThera, Inc. Acquires Applied Genetics, S.A.
10. Genetics Policy Institute (GPI) Files Additional Legal Arguments in Sherley v. Sebelius Stem Cell Case
11. Good Start Genetics Announces $14M Series B Financing, Expands Senior Management Team