LONDON, Nov. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- GW Pharmaceuticals plc (Nasdaq: GWPH, AIM: GWP, "GW") a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics from its proprietary cannabinoid product platform, announced today it has commenced a Phase 1b/2a clinical trial for the treatment of Recurrent Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM).
Glioma describes any tumor that arises from the glial tissue of the brain. GBM is a particularly aggressive tumor that forms from abnormal growth of glial tissue. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, GBM accounts for approximately 50% of the 22,500 new cases of brain cancer diagnosed in the United States each year. Treatment options are limited and expected survival is a little over one year. GBM is considered a rare, or orphan, disease by the FDA and the European Medicines Agency, or EMA.
This study follows several years of pre-clinical research conducted by GW in the field of glioma which has demonstrated that cannabinoids inhibit the viability of glioma cells both in vitro and in vivoi,ii via apoptosis or programmed cell death, may also affect angiogenesis, and have demonstrated tumor growth-inhibiting action and an improvement in the therapeutic efficacy of temozolomide, a standard treatment for glioma. In addition, GW has shown tumor response to be positively associated with tissue levels of cannabinoids. GW has identified the putative mechanism of action for our cannabinoid product candidate, where autophagy and programmed cell death are stimulated via stimulation of the TRB3 pathway.
"We are very excited about moving this compound into further human study and the prospects of cannabinoids as new anti-cancer treatments. This is GW's first clinical study of cannabinoids as a potential treatment to inhibit tumor growth," stated Dr. Stephen Wri
SOURCE GW Pharmaceuticals plc
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Keryx Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. Announces Upcoming Poster Presentations of Zerenex™ (Ferric Citrate) at the Upcoming American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week 2011 Annual Meeting
2. Convergence Pharmaceuticals Initiates Phase I Multiple Ascending Dose Study for CNV2197944
3. TetraLogic Pharmaceuticals Announces Initiation of a Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of TL32711 in Patients with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)
4. Questcor Pharmaceuticals to Present at the Oppenheimer Healthcare Conference on December 13, 2011
5. Synergy Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Files Suit Against Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and its Chief Scientific Officer and Senior VP of R&D, Dr. Mark G. Currie
6. Acumen Pharmaceuticals Regains Worldwide Rights to Anti-ADDL Antibody Therapeutics and Diagnostics for Alzheimers Disease From Merck
7. Inspiration Biopharmaceuticals Moves Corporate Headquarters to Cambridge, Massachusetts
8. Ampio Pharmaceuticals Awarded Canadian Composition of Matter Patent That Strengthens IP Protection for Its Key Drug Ampion™
9. Amylin Pharmaceuticals to Present at the 30th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference
10. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Promotes Niranjan Sardesai to Chief Operating Officer
11. Keryx Biopharmaceuticals to Present at JP Morgans 30th Annual Healthcare Conference