SHERWOOD, Ore., April 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Entia Biosciences (OTCQB: ERGO), a food science biotechnology company and emerging leader in the field of Nutrigenomics, has now received three Patent Notices of Allowance covering the use of Ergothioneine and its genetic transporter in the treatment of a wide variety of diseases, including those affecting the immune and central nervous systems. Notices from the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the Israel Patent Office were received in March and from the Canadian Intellectual Property Office in December.
Ergothioneine is a powerful amino acid and master antioxidant that is acquired exclusively from the diet and carried by a unique and specific transporter (human gene symbol SLC22A4) to cells throughout the body that are fighting damage and death from oxidative stress and toxic free radical reactions. Research conducted by Entia since 2011 has confirmed significant transporter activity in diabetes, arthritis, and several other serious non-communicable chronic conditions, suggesting an important physiologic role for Ergothioneine and its transporter in diseases affecting millions of people world-wide.
Discovered in 2005 by Dr. Dirk Grundemann at the University of Cologne (Germany), SLC22A4 is a sodium-ion dependent transporter that efficiently and specifically carries Ergothioneine across the cell membrane to erythrocytes (red blood cells), progenitor stem cells, and monocytes (white blood cells) (Grundemann, 2005). Variations in SLC22A4 have been associated with susceptibility to inflammatory disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn's disease, and expression has been documented in a variety of human tissues. Entia licensed the exclusive world-wide diagnostic and therapeutic rights to the discovery from the University of Col
SOURCE Entia Biosciences
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Dual-acting class of antimalarial compounds discovered with potential to prevent and treat malaria
2. The Pharmabiotic Research Institute (PRI) is Preparing to Publish its First Works on the Therapeutic and Medicinal Potential of Probiotics
3. Carnegie Mellon study reveals potential of manganese in neutralizing deadly Shiga toxin
4. GeoVax Labs Presents New Findings on Potential HIV Vaccine at 2012 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI)
5. Kimberly-Clarks Bob Stargel Named One of Savoy Magazines Top 100 Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America
6. Carbon capture and storage -- new research from UKERC shows tough road ahead to realize potential
7. Researchers Find Potential Link Between Drinking Alcohol And Breast Cancer
8. Golden potential for gold thin films
9. Cepheid Announces European Release of Xpert CT/NG and Xpert CT, Delivering Rapid Detection and Differentiation of Chlamydia and Gonorrhoeae
10. Ariosa Diagnostics Announces Publication of Study on Influential Factors Affecting Fetal DNA Concentration in Blood of Pregnant Women
11. Exosome Diagnostics Presents Data at American Urology Association Demonstrating Potential Utility of Urine Exosomes to Non-invasively Detect and Manage Prostate Cancer