ment. The Weed Science Society of America promotes research, education and extension outreach activities related to weeds, provides science-based information to the public and policy makers, and fosters awareness of weeds and their impacts on managed and natural ecosystems. For more information, visit www.wssa.net
Pursuing a Career in Weed Science: Ten Ways to Make a Difference
Weeds and invasive plants impact the world around us in significant ways - reducing crop yields, choking waterways, triggering allergies and disrupting natural habitats. But scientists are tilting the balance with new research and best practices.
Here are ten of the many ways today's weed scientists hope to make a difference:
1. Maximizing crop yields to feed a growing population with less cropland.
2. Eliminating aquatic weeds that clog our waterways and impact water quality.
3. Controlling invasive weeds that destroy biodiversity in our rangelands and wild areas.
4. Developing weed management techniques for organic farming.
5. Reducing the impact of weeds on human health and allergies.
6. Researching new and improved weed management techniques in response to climate change.
7. Minimizing the development of resistance of weeds to herbicides.
8. Preventing soil erosion by minimizing the role of tillage in weed control.
9. Managing weeds that can fuel devastating fires.
10. Training future weed scientists.
To prepare for a career in weed science, you typically need a bachelor's degree in agronomy, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, ecology, horticulture, plant physiology, soil science or a related field. For a research position in academia or industry, you most likely will need an advanced degree.
To explore current job openings for weed scientists, visit
Page: 1 2 3 4 Related biology technology :1
Copyright©2009 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved
. Americas Heartland Launches Third Season Highlighting Contributions of American Farmers and Ranchers2
. YM BIOSCIENCES ANNOUNCES COMPLIANCE WITH AIM RULE 263
. Selection of Development Candidate Triggers $0.5 Million Milestone Payment to Ardea Biosciences, Inc.4
. ImmuneRegen BioSciences Files 8-K that Highlights Enclosed Shareholder Letter Discussing Recent Achievements and Outlook5
. Advanced Life Sciences Announces Receipt of Nasdaq Staff Letter6
. Ohio Ranks Best in the Midwest for Venture Capital Investment in Health Care Bioscience Industry7
. ISI Increases West Coast Life Science and Biotech Support for Emerging Companies with Expansion in San Francisco and San Diego8
. VisEn Medical Files Action to Invalidate New Caliper Life Sciences Patent9
. ONCOSCIENCE AG, THE EUROPEAN PARTNER OF YM BIOSCIENCES, ANNOUNCES COMPLETION OF PATIENT ENROLLMENT IN PHASE III BRAIN CANCER TRIAL OF NIMOTUZUMAB10
. Pressure BioSciences, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2007 Financial Results and Provides Business Update11
. Intellect Neurosciences, Inc. to Present Data on Alzheimers Vaccine at 13th International Congress of Immunology Conference