The projected benefit with regard to water use for the period from 2012/13 to 2021/22 is 167.4 billion liters of water that would cease to be used on crops with the adoption of biotechnology. This volume could supply a population of 3.8 million people.
The amount of diesel fuel used in agricultural machinery for transgenic crops will also see a significant reduction over the next ten years that could be as high as 1.4 billion liters, enough to supply a fleet of 581,200 light vehicles. For carbon emissions resulting from the use of diesel oil, it is projected that about 3.7 million tons of CO2 would not be released into the atmosphere, which is the equivalent of preserving 27.3 million trees.
"The level of benefits increases as growers accelerate the adoption of biotechnology, a tool that is capable of contributing more sustainable farming practices that reduce pressure on natural resources," explains Paula Carneiro , director of Celeres Ambiental and coordinator of the social-environmental study.
Study reaches sixth edition
This is the sixth edition of a study monitoring the benefits of biotechnology for Brazilian agriculture, which has been conducted annually for ABRASEM since 2008. The evaluation is divided between economic benefits, analyzed by Celeres, and social-environmental benefits, addressed by Celeres Ambiental. These companies are the only ones in Brazil that regularly monitor the adoption of transgenics in agriculture – and have been doing so from the start. The results are based on field research and interviews with more than 360 growers of soybeans, corn and cotton scattered all over the country. These are the three crops in '/>"/>
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Puma Biotechnology Announces Completion of Private Placement
2. Animal Biotechnology - Technologies, Markets and Companies
3. The European Union Signs Grant Contract to Fund a 2 Million Euro Biotechnology Research Project Led by Hadassah College Jerusalem
4. Puma Biotechnology Announces Positive PB272 (Neratinib) Phase II Data at CTRC-AACR San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium
5. JumpStart Invests $250,000 in Milo Biotechnology
6. Global Biotechnology Industry
7. Apexigen and Shanghai Duyiwei Biotechnology Co. Ltd Sign a License and Collaboration Agreement to Develop and Commercialize APX004
8. Lixte Biotechnology Receives US Patent for Its Proprietary Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor
9. New Study: Health Professionals Support Biotechnologys Use In Food Products And Sustainable Farming
10. Global Biotechnology Instrumentation Industry
11. Choose New Jersey, Inc. to Tout New Jerseys Life Sciences Hub At Worlds Largest Biotechnology Event