COLLEGE PARK, Md., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- University of Maryland Ventures (UM Ventures) announced today that Dr. Martha J. Connolly has been named director of bioentrepreneurship, a new program supported by the Maryland Technology Enterprise Institute (Mtech) and the A. James Clark School of Engineering, designed to enhance collaboration between the University of Maryland, College Park (UMD) and the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) as part of the MPowering the State initiative.
"UM Ventures creates an integrated innovation ecosystem that includes entrepreneurial support resources," said James Hughes, Chief Economic Development Officer and Vice President at UMB. "Experts like Martha help turn novel ideas into sustainable businesses, and I'm pleased to have her as part of our enterprise."
Connolly joins the UM Ventures team whose goal is to foster entrepreneurship among faculty and students. She will lead the first-ever course in entrepreneurship on the UMB campus starting this month. Students from the schools of medicine, nursing, pharmacy, law, social work, dentistry and the UMB graduate school are eligible. Connolly is also working closely with 16 teams of engineering students from College Park who are paired with UMB clinical faculty to define problems in healthcare, then developing products to improve patient health and clinical outcomes. Increasingly, students look at careers beyond the traditional academic research path and these courses will prepare them for careers in private industry.
"Martha Connolly is a highly regarded and proven professional in technology-based economic development in the state of Maryland," said University System of Maryland
SOURCE University of Maryland (UM) Ventures
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Fitzsimons Redevelopment Authority Rolls Out First Phase of Strategic Refocus With Appointment of Four Key Leaders in The Bioscience Industry to Its Board of Directors
2. Leaders in Science Join Upcoming Celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the Oldest Science Foundation in America
3. Sweet Success for Hosmac India Pvt. Ltd. at ET NOW-IndiaMART Leaders of Tomorrow Awards 2011
4. Nabsys Expands Leadership Team to Prepare for Commercialization of Novel DNA Positional Sequencing Technology
5. Berkeley Lab seeks to help US assert scientific leadership in critical materials
6. Synthetic Genomics Inc. Hires Industry Leader George E. Stagnitti to Head Food and Nutritional Products Development Program
7. Auxilium Announces Appointments to Enhance Leadership Team
8. Global Leaders in Advanced Biofuels Industry Urge Congressional Leaders to Extend Critical Tax Provisions
9. DuPont Leader Overviews 2012 Seed Research Pipeline with Investors
10. More than half of Americans doubt US global leadership in 2020
11. USC Marshall School of Business 6th Annual Leadership Summit