INDIANAPOLIS, May 12 /PRNewswire/ -- BioCrossroads' Indiana Seed Fund, Indiana's only targeted life sciences seed stage investment fund, has invested $300,000 in AgeneBio, an Indianapolis-based biotechnology start-up company focused on the development of therapeutic products for Alzheimer's disease, dementia and other memory disorders.
More than 5 million Americans suffer from Alzheimer's disease (AD), a number that is expected to grow exponentially over the next decade as a result of the aging population. Currently approved medications for AD treat only the clinical symptoms and have little impact on the progression of the disease. AgeneBio's research platform is based on intellectual property from Johns Hopkins University and has a number of new patents to broaden its approach to developing therapies.
"AgeneBio's advancements in the treatment of memory-related conditions for the elderly could change the lives of millions of aging Americans and their families," said David Johnson, President and CEO of BioCrossroads. "The company's science is strong and the management team is comprised of seasoned executives from the pharmaceutical industry with highly applicable experience in the development and commercialization of drugs for psychiatric and neurological disorders."
This is the tenth life sciences start up that has received funding from our Indiana Seed Fund. Our fund has become a critical resource for Indiana's new companies holding great promise for the future of Indiana's economy and encouraging breakthrough innovation from In
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. BioCrossroads Launches www.biocrossroadslinx.com and Releases Report on Biopharma Discovery and Development Contract Services
2. BioCrossroads Indiana Seed Fund Invests in Vaccine Biotech Company
3. The PLSG Invests $150,000 in Coventina Healthcare Enterprises, Inc., Its Eighth Company Relocation to Pittsburgh
4. The PLSG Invests $115,000 in Innovention Technologies, LLC
5. The Pittsburgh Life Sciences Greenhouse Invests $100,000 in ParentPlus
6. Roche Molecular Diagnostics Invests $57.5 Million in Green Research Building
7. Powersafe Technology Corp. Recapitalizes, Executes Merger Agreement with Amplification Technologies, and Invests in Amplification
8. JIC Invests in Three New Alternative Energy Projects
9. JumpStart Invests in Tursiop Technologies
10. Abbott Invests Additional $20M in Isis Subsidiary Ibis Biosciences
11. Lumidigm Signs Strategic Agreement with Methode Electronics : Automotive Supplier Invests in Biometric Component Development