"The Ryder Trauma Center is the only Level I trauma center in Miami-Dade County for adults and children and it services an area of nearly three million people," said Jeffrey S. Augenstein, M.D, Ph.D., director of the William Lehman Injury Research Center and principal investigator on the project. "Enabling doctors to instantly connect to the ICU through high-speed wireless technology can help lower the preventable death rate by speeding up the delivery of trauma care during the 'golden hour,' the critical 60 minutes after an injury."
"When high-speed wireless technology and connectivity become an integral component of the health care system, critical information from patients will get to doctors more quickly - and vice versa," said Don Jones, vice president of business development for Qualcomm's health and life sciences group. "This compression of time will contribute to a revolution in the health care industry and we are proud to support this program through our Wireless Reach initiative."
Another benefit realized during the past year of using the RP-7 is the reduction of bacterial infections spread while physicians conduct their rounds, which is a problem in hospitals where doctors visit approximately 10- 15 patients per hour. During this new stage of the project, doctors will examine deeper the use of the robot to conduct grand rounds, maneuvered by the doctor from somewhere else, as a potential solution to help reduce the spread of bacterial infections.
Contributors to the project are providing the means necessary to implement advanced technology in the medical field:
-- The William Lehman Injury Research Center at the
SOURCE Qualcomm Incorporated
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Dendreon Announces Publication of Phase 1 Study Highlighting Immunologic and Clinical Activity of Lapuleucel-T (Neuvenge(R)) in Advanced Breast Cancer Patients
2. Advanced Life Sciences Announces Receipt of Nasdaq Staff Letter
3. Advanced Cell Technology Announces Proposed Financing
4. YM BIOSCIENCES, EUROPEAN PARTNER, ONCOSCIENCE AG, ANNOUNCES INITIATION OF ADVANCED NIMOTUZUMAB TRIALS IN ADULT GLIOMA AND PANCREATIC CANCER
5. Advanced Cell Technologys Dr. Robert Lanza Makes List of 100 Most Inspiring People in the Life-Sciences Industry
6. Advanced Life Sciences to Present at 2007 UBS Global Life Sciences Conference
7. CeloNova BioSciences Announces Worlds First Line of Fully Color-Coded Embolic Particles at CIRSE: Embozene(TM) Color-Advanced Microspheres
8. Edwards Lifesciences Grants UC Irvine $5 Million to Establish the Edwards Lifesciences Center for Advanced Cardiovascular Technology
9. Advanced Bionics Deploys CEVA-TeakLite(TM) DSP Core to Enhance Its Harmony(TM) HiResolution(R) Bionic Ear System
10. NIH Announces Advanced Cell Technologys Single Cell Embryo Biopsy Technique as a Means to Derive Embryonic Stem Cells to be Considered for Federal Funding
11. Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (CTI) Receives SPA Approval from FDA and Launches Gender-Specific Phase III Trial for Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer