DARIEN, Ill., Nov. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) is partnering with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on a new project to increase awareness of sleep illness and the importance of sufficient sleep. The long-term goal of the National Healthy Sleep Awareness Project is to promote widespread and measurable public behavior changes leading to improved sleep health. The AASM and CDC both recognize that untreated sleep illness and chronic sleep loss have a cumulative impact on nearly every key public health indicator, increasing the risk of physical and mental health problems, mortality, accidents, injuries and disability.
"Sleep and sleep disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnea and insomnia, are increasingly recognized as vital to a wide variety of public health and chronic disease concerns, including obesity, hypertension and cancer," said Janet B. Croft, PhD, CDC senior chronic disease epidemiologist in the Division of Population Health. "The CDC is collaborating with the AASM to improve the health of people through diagnosis and treatment of sleep illness."
The project addresses the "Healthy People 2020" focus area of sleep health, which includes objectives related to increasing the medical evaluation of people with symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea, reducing vehicular crashes due to drowsy driving and ensuring more Americans get sufficient sleep.
The cooperative agreement calls for the project to last five years with an approximate total funding from the CDC of $1 million, which will be used to launch a public awareness campaign and promote health care provider education to improve knowledge of sleep and sleep illness. The project also will generate recommendations to improve current models for nationwide sleep health data collection.
According to AASM President Dr. M. Safwan
SOURCE American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Harlan Laboratories and BioXpert Announce Partnership to Expand Contract Breeding Services in Northern Europe
2. HighPoint Solutions und InnoPeritus gehen Partnerschaft zum Angebot beispielloser Beratungsdienste auf dem europäischen Life-Sciences-Markt ein
3. Formedix Partners With OpenClinica to Deliver Automated End-to-End Clinical Trial Builds
4. Clinical Conductor CTMS Partners with the Greater Gift Initiative to Donate Vaccines
5. Samsung BioLogics unterzeichnet strategische Herstellungspartnerschaft mit Roche
6. Samsung BioLogics Signs a Strategic Manufacturing Partnership with Roche
7. QIAGEN Announces Partnership With Clovis Oncology to Co-develop Companion Diagnostic Targeting Drug-Resistant EGFR Mutations
8. MUSA Announces Partnership with IPERION
9. SoundConnect Responds to Increased, Cost-Effective Unified Communications Demands Through Agent Partnership Program
10. Gentris Corporation Partners with BioFortis, Announces New Vice President of Information Technology
11. NASA Scientists and Silicon Valley Space Center Partners Make Home Team Bid for Moffett Federal Airfield Development