AUSTIN, Texas, April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Herb lovers in more than 13 cities in 11 states and the District of Columbia are set to take part in the 8th annual HerbDay celebration on Saturday, May 4.
Scheduled events include lectures and workshops, herb walks, in-store cooking demonstrations, presentations by herbal product companies, and herbal-themed children's activities.
"Herbs enhance the value of our gardens by providing plants with incredible flavors, rich fragrances, and healthful, useful properties," said U.S. Botanic Garden Executive Director Holly H. Shimizu . "They give us opportunities to add to a garden's intrinsic beauty, texture, and charm."
HerbDay activities are held at retail stores, schools, farms, botanical gardens, garden centers, and public parks worldwide, on and during the weeks preceding and following May 4.
"Greater familiarity with herbs will increase informed use of herbal products and build public support for maintaining personal choice in the use of botanicals," said David LaLuzerne , who oversees the HerbDay celebration at the Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wisconsin. "Last year's HerbDay attracted more than 200 herbal enthusiasts for a day of herb classes, herb walks in the garden, and herb displays in the Commons area. It included individuals, businesses, and organizations that share a love and passion for herbs and herbal medicine."
HerbDay was conceived of in 2006 by the HerbDay Coalition, five nonprofit organizations, to raise awareness of the significance of herbs and the many ways they can be used safely and creatively for health, beauty, and culinary enjoyment. The HerbDay Coalition is comprised of the American Botanical Council, American Herbalists Guild, American Herbal Pharmacopoeia, American Herbal Products Association, and United Plant Savers.
Additional events are being planned and added to the HerbDay website, www.herbday.org. This year, scheduled events include:
- The U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory in Washington, DC will host a celebration of herbs, including demonstrations, activities, and information tables throughout the conservatory. Additionally, the Potomac Unit of the Herb Society of America will feature an herbal beads display and demonstrations, herbal tea tastings and make-your-own herbal tea bags, as well as the opportunity to create your own herbal skin lotion. The Pennsylvania Heartland and the Philadelphia Units of the Herb Society of America will present an exhibit on elder (Sambucus spp.), the International Herb Association Herb of the Year.
- The American Botanical Council in Austin, Texas will host herb walks in 26 herb-themed gardens and herb talks in its education annex, as well as a plant and book sale, refreshments, a Maypole, and a children's planting activity.
- ArborVitae School of Traditional Herbalism in New York will host a full day of free workshops, demonstrations, and herb walks through the market and gardens. There will be a diverse range of teachers and presenters, with both adult and kid-friendly activities.
- Hidden Lake Gardens in Tipton, Michigan will host demonstrations on how to include herbs in gardens and cooking, vendors with plants and products, and activities for the young-at-heart.
- The Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wisconsin will host kids' herbal activities with two HerbDay talks: "Herbal Teas for Kids" and "Kids and Seeds for a Greener Future." There will also be a kids' activity tour.
For more information about HerbDay activities, resources, and sponsorship opportunities; to find teachers and experts; or to register and promote events, visit www.herbday.org. Follow HerbDay on Twitter and "like" HerbDay on Facebook to share your ideas and keep current on the latest news and announcements.
CONTACT: Sara O'Connor, 512-926-4900, Sara@HerbalGram.org
Related biology technology :1
|SOURCE American Botanical Council on behalf of the HerbDay Coalition|
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Syngenta Holds Annual General Meeting2
. Verified Clinical Trials Exhibits at the Annual 2013 Partnerships In Clinical Trials to Discuss the Professional Research Subject and the Clinical Trial Database Registry3
. Maryville, Tennessee Based Molecular Pathology Laboratory Network (MPLN) Celebrates 38th Annual Medical Laboratory Professional Week by Honoring Employees4
. 4th Annual Advancing Global Clinical Trials Conference is Announced5
. Infinata's BioPharm Insight Global Editor Kim Ha to Moderate Panel at 3rd Annual U.S.-China Conference on Strategies for Mining Profits from Pharma Opportunities in China6
. New Obesity Education Program To Premiere At American College of Physicians (ACP) Annual Meeting7
. 12,000 Candles: Texas Fertility Center 27th Annual Baby Reunion, Celebrates 12,000 Babies Born8
. NW Bio 2012 Annual Report Shows Strong Progress And Enhancement Of Leadership Position9
. DIA 2013 49th Annual Meeting to Address Hot Topics Surrounding Patient Therapies10
. Rosetta Genomics Announces Poster Presentations at AACR Annual Meeting 201311
. Susan Cain Will Kick Off 2013 ASAE Annual Meeting & Exposition, Dan Heath is Closing General Session Speaker