Tucson, Ariz. (PRWEB) June 13, 2013
SynCardia Systems, Inc., manufacturer of the world’s first and only FDA, Health Canada and CE (Europe) approved Total Artificial Heart, announced today that U.S. News & World Report has named seven SynCardia Certified Centers among the nation's "Best Children's Hospitals" for cardiology and heart surgery in its annual rankings for 2013-2014.
“The SynCardia temporary Total Artificial Heart has opened the floodgates in respect to the treatment possibilities for a quickly growing population of children in heart failure, including adolescents suffering from chronic rejection of their transplanted heart, end-stage heart failure accompanied by multiple congenital defects and a late-stage failing Fontan circulation,” said Dr. David L.S. Morales, chief of pediatric cardiothoracic surgery at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, which ranked in the top five.
SynCardia Certified Centers included in the list were:
•#2 Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
•#3 Texas Children's Hospital
•#5 Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
•#11 Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
•#26 Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA
•#32 Shands Hospital for Children at the University of Florida
•#34 Phoenix Children’s Hospital
In addition to the seven hospitals listed above, #9 Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford and #43 Arkansas Children’s Hospital have completed the first two phases of SynCardia’s four-phase certification program and are ready to perform their first proctored implant once an appropriate patient has been identified.
Clinical research, surgical survival and ability to prevent bloodstream infections were among the factors making up 75% of the score used for the rankings. The other 25% reflects how many of 450 pediatric cardiologists and heart surgeons surveyed in 2011, 2012 and 2013 recommended the hospital.
CAUTION – The Freedom portable driver is an investigational device, limited by United States law to investigational use.
About the SynCardia temporary Total Artificial Heart
SynCardia Systems, Inc. (Tucson, AZ) is the privately held manufacturer of the world's first and only FDA, Health Canada and CE approved Total Artificial Heart. Originally used as a permanent replacement heart, the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart is currently approved as a bridge to transplant for people suffering from end-stage heart failure affecting both sides of the heart (biventricular failure). There have been more than 1,100 implants of the Total Artificial Heart, accounting for more than 300 patient years of life.
Similar to a heart transplant, the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart replaces both failing heart ventricles and the four heart valves, eliminating the symptoms and source of end-stage biventricular failure. Unlike a donor heart, the Total Artificial Heart is immediately available at SynCardia Certified Centers. It is the only device that provides immediate, safe blood flow of up to 9.5 liters per minute through each ventricle. This high volume of safe blood flow helps speed the recovery of vital organs, helping make the patient a better transplant candidate.
Forbes ranks SynCardia #69 Among “America’s Most Promising Companies”.
In its February 2013 issue, Forbes selected SynCardia as one of "America's Most Promising Companies" for the second consecutive year. On the list of 100 privately held, high-growth companies with bright futures, SynCardia was selected #69, moving up eight spots from its #77 ranking last year. See the full list of SynCardia Awards & Recognition here.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10829106.htm.
Copyright©2012 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved