"This outbreak is a major threat to the economy and the communities of British Columbia," said the Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of Natural Resources. "With this program, we'll be working with the Province of British Columbia to ensure the economic and environmental well-being of our communities and forest resources. We are taking action on this important issue and delivering real results for Canadians."
The Government of Canada will work closely with the Province of British Columbia to deliver a comprehensive, integrated strategy to combat the beetle infestation.
The Federal Mountain Pine Beetle Program measures focus on the following:
Project activities will include measures to control the eastward spread of the beetle in British Columbia and along the British Columbia–Alberta border. The program will also assist affected communities in identifying new forest products, markets, industries and services to help ensure their long-term economic well-being.
The Government of Canada recognizes that the forest industry is an important contributor to the Canadian economy and that it has been facing considerable challenges. This investment is part of the $400 million provided in Budget 2006 to help the industry meet its challenges and ensure a more stable future for forest-based communities and economies.
Canada is the world's largest exporter of forest products, with ab
out one third of Canada's potential harvest coming from British Columbia. Canada has 10 percent of the world's forests, including 30 percent of the world's boreal forests. Forests provide jobs and economic benefits for many communities and contribute to the well-being and health of Canadians and our environment.
Source:Natural Resources Canada
Related biology news :
1. Canadas first embryonic stem cell lines
2. Report highlights change in Canadas forests
3. Learning to fight an adversary that wont stay down
4. Antibiotic might fight HIV-induced neurological problems
5. NYU study reveals how brains immune system fights viral encephalitis
6. Molecular models advance the fight against malaria
7. Molecule that usually protects infection-fighting cells may cause plaque deposits inside arteries
8. Researchers find promising cancer-fighting power of synthetic cell-signaling molecule
9. Agilent Technologies new genome analysis technology set to accelerate Australia fight against mesothelioma
10. Two chemicals boost immune cells ability to fight HIV without gene therapy
11. Experiment station researchers to explore genome of disease-fighting fungus